Unfortunately, cooking healthy meals can be quite expensive and take some time. This does not always have to be true, though. There are ways to eat healthy while still saving money and time. Here is a great recipe for a butternut squash, chickpea, and kale curry that is easy to make and not too costly.
You will need the following ingredients.
- One can of coconut milk (13.5 ounces)
- ¼ of a bunch of chopped cilantro to be served
- One or 2 limes (choose how much lime you would like)
- Two tablespoons of red or yellow curry paste
- One chopped onion
- One peeled butternut squash cut into 1-inch cubes
- One tablespoon of brown sugar
- Two tablespoons of fish sauce
- One bunch of kale with the leaves torn, and the stem chopped
- 1 ½ cups of chick or vegetable stock (whichever you prefer)
- One can of chickpeas (14.5 ounces)
First, whisk ½ a can of coconut milk with two tablespoons of curry paste in either a 3-quart saucepan or a Dutch oven. Heat the coconut milk and curry paste over a medium- high heat. Bring the saucepan to a simmer and let the coconut milk simmer for about a minute.
Also Read: Ashley Zehnder Tips for Wedding Planning
Add the chopped onions to the coconut milk and let the coconut milk, curry paste, and onions simmer for another three minutes. After three minutes, add the kale stems, butternut squash, chickpeas, brown sugar, fish sauce, and the remaining ½ a can of coconut milk to what has been simmering in the saucepan. Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
Once it has started boiling, bring the heat down again, uncover the pan, and let everything simmer for another eight to ten minutes. After which, you want to add the kale leaves and let everything cook for another two or three minutes. After this, squeeze in the juice from ½ a lime and season the curry to taste. Serve the curry with additional lime wedges and cilantro on the side.
Ashley Zehnder enjoys cooking healthy meals for her and her fiancé. She is always looking for healthy recipes.
Follow Ashley Zehnder on Linkedin